Propane Grill Fire Wreaks Havoc in Hampshire, Illinois

HAMPSHIRE, Ill.– A devastating fire erupted in a Kane County home in Hampshire, Illinois, on Monday, July 24, triggered by a propane grill mishap. Fire officials responded to a distress call in the 800 block of Elm Street just after 4 p.m., finding a large pillar of smoke visible from several blocks away.

Upon arriving at the scene, firefighters encountered a massive fire engulfing the two-story building, extending to both floors and the attic. To their relief, they learned that the two residents inside had managed to escape just before the emergency crews arrived.

One of the residents was treated for smoke inhalation at Elgin Hospital, while the second resident refused treatment at the scene. A Hampshire police officer also suffered from smoke inhalation and was taken to the same hospital for medical attention.

Firefighters heroically brought the blaze under control by approximately 4:45 p.m. Investigations revealed that the fire originated from a propane grill on the back deck, quickly spreading up the side of the house and into the attic, causing significant damage to the property.

To prevent this type of catastrophic incident from happening to one of your customers, be sure to take advantage of the award-winning safety training programs available on the Tank Spotter app and the expert safety consulting available from PropaneSafetyPro. A proactive approach to propane safety can save both lives and property.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *