Explosion of Propane Tank Causes Damage to Garage and Deck in Waterloo, Iowa

In an incident that startled the neighborhood, a propane tank filled with liquid fuel unexpectedly exploded near a garage in Waterloo, Iowa. The explosion resulted in damage to the exterior of the garage as well as the adjacent deck, where a man had just begun the process of firing up a grill for some outdoor cooking.

The event took place on Wednesday, August 30, at 752 Wildwood Road in Waterloo. Swift action by the man near the grill prevented the situation from escalating further. He used a garden hose to control the flames until the local firefighters, the Waterloo Fire Rescue team, arrived at approximately 6:30 p.m. Waterloo Fire Rescue Battalion Chief, Ben Petersen, arrived at the scene and conducted an assessment, determining the explosion to be accidental in nature. Fortunately, the fire did not compromise the structural integrity of the garage or the home.

The man operating the grill wasn’t the only individual present; a woman was also in the vicinity at the time of the explosion. Thankfully, there were no reported injuries stemming from the event.

The incident serves as a reminder of the importance of safe handling and storage of propane tanks. The quick thinking and actions of the man involved helped mitigate what could have been a far more destructive situation.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *